BREXIT: things to know in 2022

European citizens (except Irish) now have to meet the same Immigration Rules as non-EU citizens did before Brexit. European workers need the same work visa as non-Europeans, under the new Points-Based Immigration System, including a job offer from a UK employer, appropriate salary, English language etc. These rules now cover nationals of all countries to come, work and settle in the UK. The new PBIS is faster, more flexible and more skills-orientated than the old over-restrictive Tier 2 visa. 

If you are looking to work in the UK or sponsor workers for your business, please book online consultation now!

Plus, there is an expanding range of unsponsored UK visas, such as a Graduate visa for students in UK universities; The High Potential Individual Visa for those who graduated from non-UK universities in the last 5 years; Youth Mobility Scheme, Ancestral visa; Hong Kong BNO visa. More details here.

The deadline for registering was 30 June 2021. At the moment you can still register only if you had compassionate circumstances preventing you from registering on time. Family members of qualifying British citizens (Surrender Singh route) can register under EUSS if you were granted a family permit in this route. 

If you registered on time, you can bring family members under the pre-Brexit rules – if your relationship existed on 30 December 2020.

If you were granted a pre-settled status, you can apply for a settled one after you have lived in the UK for 5 years.

Firstly, you need a Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.   

You can apply for British Citizenship 1 year after obtaining a settled status. You can also apply earlier if you have a confirmation of settlement before EUSS (as well as the settled status under EUSS). For example, if you obtained a PR document in 2018, then registered under EUSS in 2021, you can apply now. 

If you are married to a UK citizen, including an EU citizen naturalised as British, you don’t have to wait for a year after the settled status. 

Your company needs to check the employees’ right to work legally in the UK, based on the above. You can also use this link on UK Visas and Immigration website to check one’s immigration status. 

If an EU citizen is registered under EU Settlement Scheme: spouses, partners and families of UK citizens have to meet the same visa rules as families of UK citizens. This includes English language and Financial Requirement £18,600.

If an EU citizen isn’t registered under EUSS, then family members can join him/her as dependants of the main visa. For example, if an EU citizen gets a Skilled Worker visa, then family can come on Dependant visas.