Tier 4 Student visa

There are 2 types of Tier 4 visas: General Student and Child Student.

Tier 4 (Child) Student category is for those aged between 4 and 17 years and is normally used by children who come to study at private school. Tier 4 (General) Student is for those aged 16 years and over. Those aged 16 – 17 can choose, by agreement with their Sponsor, either a Child or a General category. 16 - 17 year olds who wish to study English should apply as Tier 4 (General) Students.

Step 1:

You need to be accepted on a course from an education provider, such as a college or a university, who has a Tier 4 Sponsor Licence from the UK Home Office. This rule applies to all organisations who want to teach the non-EU students, from Oxbridge to a small private language school.

Step 2:

Your Tier 4 Sponsor has to assign you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, commonly known as CAS.

Step 3:

With a CAS you can apply for a visa (visa stamp in passport), from your country or inside the UK, depending on your circumstances. You also need to provide specified mount of funds (Maintenance) and may have to demonstrate your English and other sills related to your studies in the UK.

Can a student work in the UK?

Your Tier 4 visa will confirm whether you can work and how many hours. Those who are studying at a degree course can work up to 20 hours per week and full-time on vacation. Those studying at below degree level (below Level 6) may be able to work up to 10 hours per week but it also depends on the type of college, so some student visas don’t allow to work at all. Tier 4 Child student vsia does not allow to work either.

What’s next after Tier 4 Student visa?

This is a very common question in our practice, so we have a separate page here.

There are extensive rules on Student visas, especially on how to calculate Maintenance and which course can be used for these visas as well as what if your circumstances change. For a more detailed advice on your situation we strongly advise to book our ADVICE SESSION.