Spouse/Partner Visa - before 9 July 2012

This page is for those who had an initial Spouse, Partner or a Fiance(e) visa under the Rules in place before 9 July 2012.

This visa is issued to spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners and same-sex partners of British Citizens and of UK permanent residents (those who have an Indefinite Leave to Remain).

Rules before 9 July 2012:

Initial visa was given for 2 years. After 2 years you could apply for permanent residency, subject to passing a Life in the UK Test and being free of unspent criminal convictions/fines.

Can you still apply for permanent residency (Indefinite Leave to Remain, ILR) after 9 July 2012? Yes, if you already have a 2 year Spouse/Partner visa issued under the Rules before 9 July 2012 then you can still apply for permanent residency after those 2 years.

Examples of situations when this visa is applicable (remember your partner has to be either British or have a permanent residency in the UK):

Spouses and Civil Partners:

  • You got married abroad and are coming to the UK to join your partner and settle.
  • You got married and lived abroad for a while and now moving to the UK together.
  • You are ‘scared’ of applying for a Fiancee visa and decided to get married in your partner’s country and then come to the UK to settle.
  • You came to the UK on a Fiancee visa, got married and now need to extend your stay.
  • You are in the UK on a visa other than a visitor visa, then you can switch to a Spouse/Partner visa from a Tier 1,2 or 4 visa, work permit, student, ancestral, working holiday and most other non-visitor visas.
  • Your partner has just obtained an Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK on the basis of his Tier 1 or Tier 2 visas after 5 years but you could not join him because you have not lived together in the UK for 2 years.

Unmarried and Same-sex Partners:

  • You and your partner lived together abroad for 2 years in a relationship akin to a marriage and can prove it with specified documents.
  • You and your partner lived together in the UK for 2 years.
  • You and your partner lived together abroad and then in the UK for total of 2 years.     

A new requirement was introduced in November 2010. Spouses and Partners need to show they speak and understand English.  

This is how we can help if you are making an application in the UK:

This visa can be done using fast Same-Day Premium Service. We could arrange an appointment for Premium service at Home Office in Croydon. 

We would also check your documents, help with the form, answer your questions. On the day of appointment you would have to accompany us to Croydon because you need to provide biometrics (fingerprints). A decision would be made on the next day with your passport returned accompanied by a letter granting a visa. An actual visa card (Biometric Residence Permit) would arrive to us a few days later.

Alternatively, a postal service is also available but may take several weeks or months, hence our Premium service appointments are very popular.  

This is how we can help if you are making an application from outside the UK:

We could help with an online form, check your documents (original or scanned copies), answer your questions, advise on the documents, write a cover letter and prepare you for submission of your application to British Embassy in your country. It is not difficult to submit an application, the real challenge lies in the preparation of the documents. We would generally ‘hold your hand’ throughout the process.

ADVICE SESSIONS: We could let you know how to go about it, where to apply, what documents you might need, where to find a form plus answer your questions (there are always some). We could interact with you over emails or arrange a face-to-face consultation at our office in the City of London (Monument area). We have an advice fee, which we would count towards our service fee if/when you choose to apply for a visa with our help later.

Contact us now or read our Testimonials page.