Croatian Citizens

Croatia joined the EU on 1 July 2013. The rules resemble those for Bulgarian/Romanian nationals with some difference.

There are no restrictions on exercising Treaty rights for self- employed, students, self- sufficient etc. However, those who want to work as employees have to obtain permission to work, before they start a job. 

Such an authorisation can be in a way of Registration Certificates, which can be of 3 types. Perhaps to make it more fun, the government made it available in 3 colours: Yellow, Blue and Purple.

Yellow Registration Certificates are issued to people who are not employed: students, self-employed, self-sufficient, voluntary workers (unpaid workers), retired etc but not to those wishing to work as an employee. There is no time limit on how long it is valid for, it is valid for as long as you are continuing the above activities in the UK (studying, self-employment etc).

Self-employed, self-sufficient, retired Croatians do not have to apply for a Yellow Certificate. It is voluntary.

Students can study without applying for a Yellow certificate, however, if you are a student and want to work part-time while studying then you MUST apply for a Yellow Certificate first and only then you can work. Most students are allowed to work 20 hours per week. 

Blue Registration Certificates are issued to people who want to work as an employee (to get a job) but who do not require an authorisation. There are several ways to qualify for it, best to contact us, so we would advise you according to your situation.

There is no time limit on validity of the Blue certificate.

Examples when you could qualify:

  • having worked in the UK, legally, for continuous 12 months, this includes part-time work while studying.
  • having a UK visa issued before July 2013 and that visa allows to work.
  • being a family member of a British or a European citizen (except a family member of those EU nationals subject to work authorisation). 

Purple Registration Certificates, also known as an Accession Worker Card. This is the only way if you wish to work as an employee (to get a job) and cannot qualify for any other 2 certificates above. In this case, you MUST obtain this Purple certificate before starting work. 

Here the rules are the same as for a Tier 2 visa, ie need to be sponsored by a company which has a Tier 2 or 5 Sponsor licence and which is willing to assign a Certificate of Sponsorship. In other words, it is the same Tier 2 or 5 visa but instead of a 'visa stamp' Croatians will be getting this Purple Registration Certificate.  

After you have worked for 12 months on this certificate you do not need authorisation anymore and can change a job if you wish.

We can assist with all types of applications, Yellow, Blue and Purple but all applications can only be submitted by post.